Header Home Page Home Page Newsletter Contact Us Get A Quote Emergency Services Life Insurance Commercial Insurance Auto Insurance Header
Get A Quote

Hurricane Sandy has passed and left destruction for insurance claims to be filed. 

Sandy is estimated to have caused $20 billion in damage as it tore through the east coast, but what does that mean to the average person filings a claim?

Most of the damage from Sandy is from flooding, its common that most policies will not cover flooding. Understand an insurance policy can be very difficult even for a seasoned insurance agent. For example flooding might be covered if its determined the cause of damage was first another covered peril.

Make sure to contact an independent insurance agency not a direct writer that can only sell you one companies insurnace product.

Is my property covered?


During a hurricane, there are often separate deductibles for high force winds. The deductibles are often expensive and can be up to 5 percent of the home's insured value, according to HLN.

Fallen Trees

Most policies cover damage caused by wind and will cover flooding caused by a tree crashing into the roof, according to USA Today.


Most home insurance policies do not cover flooding. Flood insurance usually has to be purchased separately, according to Farmers.com. 

Flooding At Shorelines
Mortgage lenders usually force homeowners living near shorelines to have federal flood insurance, according to Reuters. So you're likely covered if you don't own your home outright and you live near a shoreline.

Federal Disaster Areas
Even when a federal disaster area is declared, assistance comes in the form of loans that often have to be repaid, according to the Washington Post.
Anti-Concurrent Causation Clauses
Many insurance policies do not cover damage caused my multiple sources, like wind and flooding, according to Reuters.
Generally, damage to cars caused by falling trees and flooding is only covered by comprehensive insurance, not by liability insurance, according to Fox Business.
Renters often have to pay separately for flood insurance, according to Smart Money.

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2016
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version

One Agent Representing Many Companies

StateAuto Logo
Hanover Logo
The Hartford Logo
CNA Logo
Union Standard Logo
Philadelphia Insurance Companies
CompSource Logo
Safeco Insurance
Zurich Logo
Glatfelter Public Practice
Glatfelter Religious Practice Logo
Mercury Logo
Travelers Logo
Progressive Logo

Google review

The Burrows Agency I 307 W. Patti Page Blvd I Claremore, OK 74017 I Ph: 918-341-2196                                                   Powered by Insurance Website Builder
Home Page About Us Our Services Newsletter Get A Quote Contact Us Testimonials Facebook Twitter LinkedIn